Professor David Beard
Main job title: Rosetrees RCSEng Director, Surgery and Interventional Trials Unit [SITU NDORMS]
Other job titles: Professor of Musculoskeletal and Surgical Science, Extended Scope Physiotherapist (Knee), Swansea Bay University Health Board
A short summary of you and your work in IDEAL:
- Original member of the Balliol Colloquium
- Advisor to the IDEAL Council
- Lead for IDEAL-Physio (with AP)
- Speaker for IDEAL at conference
- Facilitator of IDEAL methodology within trials portfolio
List of any current projects related to IDEAL:
- RCS Robotic Assisted Surgery (RAS) Initiative (RADAR)
- All RCTs evaluating surgery in the SITU portfolio
List of any publications related to IDEAL:
- Beard DJ, Hamilton D, Davies L, Cook J, Hirst A, McCulloch P, Paez A. Evidence-based evaluation of practice and innovation in physical therapy using the IDEAL-Physio framework. Physical therapy 98 (2), 108-121.
- Cook JA, McCulloch P, Blazeby JM, Beard DJ, Marinac-Dabic D, Sedrakyan A; IDEAL group. IDEAL framework for surgical innovation 3: randomised controlled trials in the assessment stage and evaluations in the long term study stage. 2013 Jun 18;346:f2820. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f2820.
- Hirst A, Cook JA, McCulloch P, Altman DG, Heneghan C, Diener MK, Ergina PL, Barkun JS, Blazeby JM, Beard DJ, Marinac-Dabic D, Sedrakyan A. Tailoring study design to each stage of surgical innovation: the ideal recommendations. Trials 14, O85 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-14-S1-O85