This section idenfities specific actions which particular groups can take to help.
Editors and publishers
- Promotion of IDEAL reporting and design standards in their instructions for authors
- Assistance by editors with development of registries of surgical protocols and reports
- Calls for papers using specific innovative prospective study designs.
Funders (both service and research)
- Provide specific funding for well-designed early-stage surgical innovation
- Demanding evidence of clinical benefit for new technology
- Link funding to adequate scientific evaluation
- Support well-designed surgical databases, registries, and reporting systems
- Provide rapid, flexible, and expert ethical oversight for early-stage innovation
- Link provisional approval to evaluation or registration of all cases
- Accept IDEAL approved study designs as evidence of appropriate evaluation
- Raise burden of proof for full licensing of new devices to demonstration of efficacy level
- Ensure guidelines explicitly support IDEAL model of technical development and evaluation
- Require members to use appropriate registers for the various stages of innovation as a condition of specialist recognition